Saturday, December 01, 2007

Three of My Favorite Things*

1. The farmers market when it's just opening up and mostly empty.


Look! It's my squash man and the garlic/potatoes guy! Talking before the market opens. Together!


2. Jess getting excited about the snow. Now this is love!



3. Beans and Salads

I made one salad for lunch and one for dinner, both from 'nomicon, cause as Aaron said "It's like you're a tester, but after the book already came out!"

For lunch: Lentil Salad


I love lentils and I love salad, so of course I love lentil salad, but this one was a little different than the ones I'm used to making. I think it was the hint of mustard and the tarragon and fresh thyme, but anyway, it was really satisfying and both AA and I felt really energized and light after eating it. I was gonna use the lentils I picked up at the market, but then I saw it called for french lentils, which I have and don't use as much, so those lentils will have to get some play later in the week. But the thyme, french radishes, carrot, and tomato I used were all from the market! I wasn't particularly jazzed by the tomato, though (a hydroponic one from some not overly-friendly guy at the market, but hey, it's snowing in Portland, I'm lucky to have any stinking tomato!)

Then, for dinner: Quinoa Salad with Black Beans and Mango


It's true, I like millet better than quinoa, and in fact, I like most grains better than quinoa. But this black quinoa I have is a fancy time. And it takes well to whatever I dress it with, so I guess I just have to dress it real nice! The addition of black beans and mango and red pepper reminded me of a salad my sister taught me before I was a seasoned potluck go-er that we both often still bring to the potlucks (but minus quinoa and plus avocado and lime), so when I got around to serving it, I searched out an avocado in my fridge (score!) and some leftover lime juice from last night's soup (double score!) and it was goooo-oood. Very.

Tomorrow: My friend Megan's Pumpkin Muffins for a monthly brunch (though we missed the last two!) and a report back on the Apple Peanut Butter Bars, Tofurky, and another dish I plan to bring along: Baby Bok Choy with Crispy Shallots and Sesame Seeds!



*From Jess: "Do you know that snow is one of my three favorite things?" (The other two are cats and mushrooms!)

3 comments:

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Where did you get black quinoa? OoOOoOOOooo Ahhhhhh

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

oh yeah! those are my favorite things according to webly, not me, but three things I could easily say.

Michelle said...

the coop!

(oh, i didn't get that she made it up!)